Extenuating circumstances processes are to be applied through the USW Advice Zone and approved by the university. Once they have been applied for, and the requested evidence provided, your application is taken to a panel at the University. The members of the panel then opt to either accept or decline your application.
All extenuating circumstances decisions will be sent via the Advice Zone. You will have to log on to your university email account to retrieve the decision.
- To access your student email address through http://unilife.southwales.ac.uk/login
- Your student email address is your student number followed by @students.southwales.ac.uk - for example, firstname.lastname@example.org and use the login details you used to access the University's resources.
Self-Certified 7-Day Extension
This option is specifically for those who have been affected by the Covid-19 crisis. This extension will grant you an additional 7 days at the end of your module. Your grades will not be affected, however, your grades for that module may be delayed. You will not be required to provide evidence.
20-working Day Extension
This option allows you to have an extra 20-working days after the official submission deadline. This can be done for all or select components of a course, depending on what you need. This does require strong supporting evidence for the panel to agree with the extension – upon confirmation, new submission dates are provided by the university. You are not able to request an extension on a Group Module Activity.
A non-submission allows you to defer your current module to the next available cohort and then continue onto the next module with your original cohort. This provides you with a small break from your studies. This option is suitable for students who require some time away from their studies but do not want to suspend the entire or majority of their course.
Interruption of Studies
Also known as a suspension of studies. This allows you to defer your entire programme to the next academic year, taking a larger break from your studies. All fees paid so far will be carried over and grades will not be impacted.
Important things to remember!
- You must be successfully enrolled with the university to be eligible to apply for these procedures.
- Ensure to select the correct option of extenuating circumstances that you are hoping to apply for, in order to avoid any confusion when it comes to the panel.
- Further, it is essential to have consistent communication with USW during the process of your extenuating circumstances application, otherwise it may not be successful or confirmed.
BEFORE applying for Extenuating Circumstances with the university, please contact Learna Student Services so that we can note it on our records, notify your tutor, and offer assistance where we can. You can do this at email@example.com
Was this article helpful?
Thank you for your feedback
Sorry! We couldn't be helpful
Thank you for your feedback
We appreciate your effort and will try to fix the article