Extenuating circumstances processes are to be applied through the USW Advice Zone and approved by the university. Once they have been applied for, and the necessary, requested evidence has been provided, your application is taken to a panel at the University and is then accepted or declined.
All extenuating circumstances decisions will be sent via the advice zone, you will have to log-on to your university email account to retrieve the decision.
- To access your student email address through http://unilife.southwales.ac.uk/login
- Your student email address is your student number followed by @students.southwales.ac.uk - for example, email@example.com and use the login details you used to access the University's resources.
Self-Certified 14-Day Extension
This option is specifically for those who have been affected by the Covid-19 crisis. This extension will grant you an additional 14 days at the end of your module. Your grades will not be affected, however, your grades for that module may be delayed.
20-working Day Extension
This option allows you to have an extra 20-working days after the official submission deadline. This can be done for all or select components of a course, depending on what you need. This does require strong supporting evidence for the panel to agree with the extension – upon confirmation, new submission dates are provided by the university.
A non-submission allows you to defer your current module to the next available cohort and then continue onto the next module with your original cohort. This provides you with a small break from your studies. This option is suitable for students who require some time away from their studies, but do not want to suspend the entire or majority of their course.
A self-certified non-submission is specifically for those affected by the Covid-19 crisis. There is no evidence required and you are able to retake the module after your course has finished. Your grades will not be affected and you will not be required to pay any further fees. Students are able to apply for this extension for components that they find themselves unable to take part in. This is valid for a time period of 6 weeks; the period of one module.
Important things to remember!
- You must be successfully enrolled with the university to be eligible to apply for these procedures.
- Ensure to select the correct option of extenuating circumstances that you are hoping to apply for, in order to avoid any confusion when it comes to the panel.
- Further, it is essential to have consistent communication with USW during the process of your extenuating circumstances application, otherwise it may not be successful or confirmed.